16 Aluminum Recycling Facts
Aluminum is one of the most recycled materials in the world. Here are 16 truly amazing facts about aluminum recycling.
1. 100% of aluminum can be recycled.
2. Aluminum retains its properties indefinitely.
3. Nearly 75% of all aluminum ever produced is still being used today.
4. Aluminum can be recycled infinite times without any loss of quality.
5. Aluminum recycling, along with the recycling of other materials, was encouraged during WWII to help the war effort.
6. Close to 70% of aluminum cans are recycled globally.
7. Though aluminum cans are the most visible product, more than 90% of aluminum from building materials and automotive parts is recycled at the end of use.
8. Aluminum recycling is quick! It only takes 60 days to recycle an aluminum can and get it back on the shelf.
9. Aluminum recycling uses only 5% of the energy needed to manufacture aluminum from virgin materials. Recycling also emits 95% less of the greenhouse gases generated when aluminum is produced from raw materials.
10. Recycling just one aluminum can saves enough energy to power a tv for a few hours.
11. Recycling one ton of aluminum saves the carbon emissions equivalent of driving approximately 27,000 miles.
12. Aluminum is recycled through industrial, community, municipal and business recycling programs. It is one of the most recognized recyclable items.
13. The aluminum can crusher was invented by Jesse M. Wright in 1937. The can crusher compresses the can into small, 1-inch rounds, thus taking up less space and making aluminum recycling easier and more compact.
14. The aluminum industry spends more than $800 million dollars a year on recycled cans.
15. Aluminum is one of the only materials that consumers throw away that more than pays for the cost of its own collection. Unfortunately, there are still millions worth of cans thrown away every year.
16. When not recycled, aluminum cans in landfills take 80 to 100 years to begin decomposition. They can remain for almost 500 years until fully decomposed. Harmful chemicals are also leached into the soil.
Many companies and industries end up with used aluminum products. In addition to cans, aluminum can be found in cars, window frames, wire, tubing, and electronics. All that aluminum can be collected and recycled at the end of the product’s life instead of being disposed of in regular garbage hauls. Plus, an aluminum recycling program can earn revenue and reduce disposal costs. It can also help your company achieve environmental values and goals. With every item of scrap metal you collect for recycling, you are saving energy and keeping recyclable waste out of landfills. Aluminum is a valuable commodity that is amazing!
Does your company have aluminum and other materials to recycle? Texas Recycling specializes in customized recycling programs for commercial and industrial clients. With unparalleled customer service and 30 years of experience, we will exceed your expectations. We help you recycle affordably and responsibly. To learn more or to get started, contact us or call our recycling specialists at 214-357-0262.